I think i am doing this to get to know myself better..what I have learnt so far is that my patience is running out!

Thursday, October 20, 2005

London Day out with Helen

Because I was going to be on my own on Tuesday, and because I knew Helen was coming to London the following day to do her MA, I asked if she wanted to come and stay with me. She jumped at the chance. We came home and chatted over a good south african Pinotage and had one of my sister's spectacular curries.

The next day we went into the city to Russel Square. The tube journey was a bit daunting. When we got on the northern line, 6 policemen got on our carriage too. Helen and I were thinking 'do they know something we don't know?' It was a bit unnerving. They got off 3 stops down and I felt relief. I have since been told that they do random carriages in this way on different lines, so it's good to know.

In Russel Square there is a lovely little cafe and we had a good lunch there. I had pizza which I have to be in the mood for - which isn't often - but I was then!! After that she showed me where her college was and then we went to a new exhibition at the National Museum. What a fantastic, beautiful building! The exhibition 'The Persian Trail' would've been £8 to get in but luckily we had passes so didn't have to pay. To be honest, I was very disappointed at the show in many ways. I came out really knowing little more. Because it was so small and didn't last that long, we decided to take in the China area (free) which is part of the 'Silk Rd' that Helen is studying. In the corner was a lady with a few artifacts. She encouraged us over and we wearily went to her. Boy, am I glad we did!

This lady was wonderful - really new her stuff, and the best thing of all was that we were allowed to pick up the items and really get to know their history. She knew her history!! Holding something that is a jadite thumb ring for an archer, two and a half thousand years old is just a fantastic experience! I learnt more in half an hour with her than the other exhibition. My advice if any one goes to the National Museum is to go up to these people. They are in every room....and it is massive. Her own life history was just as mind blowing too. Great way to meet new and interesting people! I am actually looking forward to going back again - and I usually hate history!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a great time, thinking of that yummy breakfast still! See you soon!
Helenxx

9:12 am

 
Blogger Theresa Stancombe said...

Girl I just posted this 5 minutes ago!!! You are quick off the mark. Dom says you should come down twice monthly...how does that sound?

9:13 am

 
Blogger Dom said...

... or more!

12:25 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not quite so fast this time! That sounds great, maybe some more visits to the Chinese section in the British Musuem! I have a lot too learn still! We could bith become experts on Chinese Art and Architecture,
Helenxxx

8:45 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home