I think i am doing this to get to know myself better..what I have learnt so far is that my patience is running out!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Scared

I am now 5 and a half months pregnant and on the one hand my pregnancy has been easy. I have had no morning sickness and luckily for me I am able to stay at home and rest. On the downside, this gives me time to think, sometimes too much and I become lonely and can feel isolated and lately extremely emotional.

A couple of weeks ago I had to go and see a Consultant because I have an underactive thyroid which can effect the baby if not monitored carefully. So I get there and he is running an hour late. Fair enough. But when I go in he asks me if I have had any blood tests done recently for my thyroid. I said I assumed so because at my first meeting with the midwife, she was adament about me seeing a Consultant to keep an eye on me and straight after she sent me for blood tests.

Well, according to the Consultant it was never taken and I had basically wasted my time. He sent me for the blood tests and said he would see me again in 8 weeks time. A few days later I woke in such pain that I booked an emergency appointment with my Doctor. I recognised the symptoms as a urinary infection and this was to be my second time since becoming pregnant. More antibiotics. While I was there I asked for some more tablets for my thyroid. He asked me if this was being monitored and I explained what had happened. He virtually said that waiting 8 weeks was a bloody waste of time as the pregnancy would be nearly over by then and sent me for blood tests and he would monitor me. There is a chance that the baby can grow too big and not in a good way.

Today, the midwife from the hospital called me saying the Consultant needed to see me ASAP. I thought she said my thyroid was too high but I am not sure in all the confusion and shock. I told the midwife I had also had tests done through my Doctor, and she said that is where the results have come from. I think I am in shock more than anything. Already, 5 months have passed by without any monitoring and I have no idea on the effect this may have on my baby. I feel so out of control. To think that I am having to put all my faith in the experts and it is by chance that this was discovered sooner than later. And I hear people saying all the right things....it was fate etc etc, but when you are carrying a life inside you, you are responsible for that life and if anything happens then it is you who has to be the one who accepts those consequences. What if I had pushed harder to see the doctor sooner? God, what if something is wrong because of my slackness? This kills me.

To top it all, and I am not sure if this is because of my thyroid, but I am an emotional wreck. It is hard to decipher what is related to pregnancy and not. All I know is I cannot stop crying and feeling lonely. I have never said this till now, but the friend I thought would be there for me always, who got me through the last 3 years, doesn't want to know me now and it breaks my heart. It really breaks my heart.

I see the Consultant on Wednesday morning - he only does Wednesday mornings!! I am supposed to be heading into central London this evening for a meal with some wonderful people. But I find myself getting out of breathe extremely easily and have felt like I am on the verge of panic attacks. So I will stay at home and try and enjoy my own company. Have to say though, I am sick of it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mischa said...

(((hugs))) Sorry to hear about all the difficulties. Of course, being pregnant is something I know nothing about. Perhaps you can talk to Ester or someone else you know who has gone through this for some advice on dealing with experts and such?

I guess the only thing I can say is that it doesn't help to compound what has already happened by worrying about it. What's done is done and it's in the past. Learn what you can and move on, and the best thing you can do for your baby now is to try and maintain a positive attitude and make sure that it (and you) gets proper care going forward. Keep writing in your blog if it makes you feel better, but find something to do that makes you happy and keeps you from feeling lonely and emotional. Good luck, my dear.

3:51 pm

 
Blogger Theresa Stancombe said...

thank you Michelle. As ever, wise words. I am feeling alot happier and more positive now. I guess hormones are playing havoc with me at the moment. But I have plenty to look forward to now with someone who I love and care for very much.

Take care

T x x x

11:49 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home