I think i am doing this to get to know myself better..what I have learnt so far is that my patience is running out!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Well what a Bank Holiday it has been.

Dom and I are having mixed emotions as the birth of Megan gets nearer. From excitement to fear. We have tried very hard to be positive but as the birth gets nearer and nearer we both find ourselves worrying that little more. Only we didn't want to tell each other this for fear of putting more pressure and stress on the other partner. But in the end I could not hide it and I broke down. Turns out he has been thinking the same thoughts - (my family's history of giving birth does not have the greatest record).

S0 we decided as we hadn't been to Portsmouth to see my family in awhile, that we would go down on Saturday morning. Both of us said that this wasn't because of our fears of something happening to me, but deep down I felt it played a part. My friend Shukwai had been staying with us for a few days so it was also a chance to drop her home. We went to my parents fish and chip shop where we had the best fish and chips I had ever eaten. After a few hours we headed to my Nan's flat on Hayling Island. It was good to see her. She hasn't been well of late but I think we raised her spirits. At about 5pm, we left and went to my sister and her family, which is only round the corner. After about half an hour I needed the loo. And that's when the bomb shell dropped!

There was bright red blood in the pan. I started to shake and hyperventilate. I called my sister to get Dom to get my hospital notes from the car. She shook and hyperventilated more than me!! I called my local labour ward who told me to go to the hospital immediately. I explained that I was an hour and a half away so I had to go to the local St Mary's. Now, ironically, only a few minutes before, I had been saying to my sister that if there were any problems I would drive right passed that hospital to get to my own one because I had heard such bad things about it. Luckily she had put me right and said that she had been in the best hands.
Me waiting to see a midwife....was this the start of labour?

So we went to St Mary's and I was taken to the Labour Ward and put in a room. I was thoroughly examined by wonderful midwifes, but I was still passing blood. I had to wait for the Doctor who was stll in surgery, and in that 3 hours I heard 3 women giving birth. When I finally saw the Doctor she gave me my first internal examination. I bled more and so they wanted a second opinion. The Registrar came in and did a scan to look at where the placenta was lying. All was okay but I was to stay in over night and have regular checks made.
They prepared me for emergency surgery just in case. This was the most painful thing I felt throughout my stay!

Come the early hours I had stopped bleeding. The baby's heart beat was strong and she was moving well. I was fine too. They said that I would have to see a Doctor in the morning before I could be released but they couldn't say when, because it was a Sunday AND a Bank Holiday and there is only one doctor on. Turns out she was in surgery. God, by now I was thoroughly bored! I just wanted to be home. At the same time I was geared to having the baby here, in my home town, in the same hospital that I had been born, my mum had been born, my sister and her children too.

The doctor came around at midday, to tell me the bad news that she would like me to stay in until this evening just incase I bled more. 6pm to be exact. But come 5pm I said to my midwife I had to go!!! They did a few final checks and then I was released! I just had to take it easy.
Poor Dom was so bored but supportive. I sent him to my parents at Sunday lunch time to watch the Grand Prix. Well there was no point in two of us being bored!

We went down to the beach and had an ice-cream. I had to be by the sea one more time before I went home. We got home safely, although I was getting lots of braxton hicks. I just needed to be near my own hospital with all my own stuff. A bath was in order and a change of clothes.

I am fine now. And still no sign of Megan popping out! Shukwai is coming to stay with me again for a few days so I have company. We are going out tonight all being well, as it is her birthday. Hey, maybe Megan will be born on the same day....there is still time!

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Stancombe said...

Thanks Jessica. Lovely to hear from you as well.

6:58 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does your husband feel about all this?

2:04 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home